Monday, February 2, 2009

"Sins of Ignorance"

I have been mulling over the matter of sin. In particular the difference between "sins of ignorance" and "willfull sins". I would appreciate your input on this study of mine as I seek to come to a clearer understanding of the scriptural teaching on this vital subject.
I have been considering various verses and I have listed them below rather than writing them all out in this post, they are:

Lev.4:2,13,22,27/5:15,18
Num.15:24-29
Deut.19:4
Acts 3:17/17:23,30
Rom. 10:3
Eph.4:18
1Tim.1:13
Heb.5:2
1Pet.1:14
2Pet.3:5


My questioning really revolves around the fact (correct me if I am wrong) that there are no sacrifices for "willful sin" in the Old Testament. There are only provisions made for "sins of ignorance". Therefore, how would this apply in the New Testament era? Can "ignorance" be claimed now as it was then? What is the definition of "willful sin"?

Also, I am considering these passages in light of the previous verses, Luke 23:34/1Cor.2:8/Heb.10:26

Any thoughts or observations?

2 comments:

SQLSvrMan said...

Was David's sin with Bathsheba willful? Or I guess the question is when does a sin become willful?

David should not have stayed at the palace. So he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But was it a willful sin?

Tom Gabbard said...

David, it would appear that it was a "willful" sin because a "willful" sin would be a choice to go contrary to the light of knowledge. Though it was not unusual for them to have multiple wives it still was not God's prescribed way. Also the resulting plot and murder of Uriah was a direct transgression. Did David somehow justify these actions in his own mind? I don't know.