Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Genuine Article


Jesus speaks of an attribute of His disciples that would set them apart as truly being His followers.
This attribute would be their sacrificial love for one another.
This is that "family resemblence" that cannot be mimicked or counterfeited by Satan like most other religious "doings" because he knows nothing about it.

This is supernatural, an indwelling of the Spirit of Christ, that makes Christianity shine above all of man's religious practice and devotion.

This must be the foundation of true faith, that is, "faith that worketh by love."

This is the first thing to fall by the wayside or to be absent when dead orthodoxy takes over.

This is the characteristic of biblical Christianity that Satan cannot abide!

If such love is missing then all our efforts are certainly paltry imitations at best.

As Paul writes:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. (cold,dead noise)
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. (empty religious motions)
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." (charity without charity)
(1Cor.13:1-3)

Such a love makes evident and plain that a radical transformation has taken place. All the religious ceremony and intellect in the world cannot compare to this!

2 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

Tom,
In chapter 12, he said to desire the greater gifts, I think in chapter 13 he names them:

Faith, hope, and love. The greatest of these, is love.

Thanks for the post.

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Craig,

There is much to meditate on in Paul's words. Love must be the motivating factor in all of our service to God and to me, yet, how often do we simply do things out of "dry duty"?
That thought and realization is a real source of personal conviction for me!
I pray for God's continued enablement in this matter of love being supreme!