Sunday, November 1, 2009

Corrie Ten Boom



If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest. Corrie Ten Boom, Nazi camp survivor"

(Below, an excerpt from Corrie's encounter with a man, at one of her speaking engagements, who was among the brutal guards at the concentration camp where she and her sister were held. This man told her he had become a Christian and desired her forgiveness.)

"Even as the angry vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him....Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me your forgiveness....And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives along with the command, the love itself."

(More quotes from Corrie)


"There is no panic in Heaven! God has no problems, only plans."

"Trying to do the Lord's work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you."

Whenever we cannot love in the old, human way . . . God can give us the perfect way."

"Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see."

5 comments:

helen said...

Dear Tom, Thank you for the words of truth that cheer my heart and cause me to remember that my strength is in the Lord. No matter the circumstances in our lives He is over all. Thank you for your faithfulness to our Bible study group.

Craig and Heather said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful quotes, Tom.

Such encouragement from someone who not only has walked with Christ through the fires of persecution---but actually met Him there!

I am reminded of Hebrews 12:1 Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us...

Heather

Tom Gabbard said...

Helen and Heather,

These words wrought in the heart of one of God's dear saints stirred me to reflection on the matchless grace and care of God for my own soul!

Craig and Heather said...

God has no problems, only plans. How beautiful.

I was awakened this morning by the phrase "Thou o Lord art a shield about me, you are my glory and the lifter of my head"

Couldn't remember where it was from, but I prayed this for a friend in need. Finally, I had to get up and find the context. Psalm 3.

Hard to put into words, but what Corrie Ten Boom said fits in so well with what I am learning. We are only to boast in Christ (Gal 6)

God's grace does not always look like I think it should, but it is still his grace. Where else can I go? He has the words of life!

Thanks again,

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Amen Craig,

Without Him where could we turn and what hope would we have?
But, with Him, all things are possible!