Wednesday, November 19, 2008

IN MY PLACE CONDEMNED HE STOOD

For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsman according to the flesh: (Rom.9:3)

After having heard Bro.Stephen mention this verse this past Sunday I have once again been confronted with the self-denying character of the believer.
What an astounding,mind-boggling statement this is! If for no other reason than the natural bent that we all have for self preservation. But in addition there is the question concerning those who are the object of Pauls great affection.
If he had expressed such a desire with friends and allies in view it would have been a deeply moving and remarkable statement but this was not the case.
As I consider the ones for whom he was willing to be seperated from Christ I am truly left in awe.
These are none other than the ones who are his greatest antagonists! These are the ones who hound,harrass,and desire his death. These are his most active enemies.
But then, I remember Pauls own words concerning his identity as a believer..."I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal.2:20) This is the source of Pauls self sacrificing love.
It is the very character of the indwelling Spirit of Christ.

In his letter to the Romans he declares God's unmerited love toward us through Christ.... "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."(Rom.5:6-8)

So, I ask myself, how could Paul say such a thing in sincerity? I find the answer in these verses.... Because it is no longer Paul that lives but Christ that liveth in him!

1 comment:

Stephen Gambill said...

Wow, brother! You are so right. Where can such love come from other than the one who Himself was willing to be accursed of God in love for us? Amazing Love!