Friday, November 21, 2008

REFLECTIONS ON PRAYER


"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Heb.4:16)

Why is prayer, that great privilege of the saints, such a neglected gift?

When I consider that the privilege of prayer was bought at Calvary I am even more deeply aware of my personal neglect of that which is holy and precious.

Though I know from past experience that prayer is sweet and that it draws one near the Father's throne, I must acknowledge that many times, even these recollections, seem to be overpowered by the encumberances of this world.

This realization brings to mind these words..."O wretched man that I am"

I recall the account given in scripture of Jesus praying all night to the Father and yet I cannot pray for one hour!

I remember him telling his disciples to "watch and pray" and that "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" and I must, from experience, acknowledge it to be so.



The flesh, the world, and the devil war against the one who would commune with God and seek to distract and discourage us from this exceedingly precious gift.

When we do not avail ourselves of this gift of God, it is our loss.

The Lord bids us to come boldly before the throne of grace in time of need. This entrance into the holiest of all is through the the veil of Christ's broken body and shed blood!
But sadly, more often than not, we exchange this blessed communion for temporal interests and things.

There is power in prayer, but there must be prayer!

So, once again, I must call upon the Lord and ask him to teach me to pray and one way that He does this is by the examples of his dear saints that have gone before us.

Thank God for those who are shining examples of true prayer, those who have been taught of God to pray, and have committed themselves to spending much time before the throne of grace.

One such man was George Muller. This man who was known for his life of prayer and his steadfast confidence in God's providence and provision had devoted himself to the care of orphans in Bristol England in the 1800's.
Through the years of caring for these orphans there were many times when funds were so low or non-existent that it looked as if the children would not be fed.
But Muller consistently looked to God in prayer at these "times of need" and God, though often at the eleventh hour, would meet those seemingly insurmountable needs.

If I were to seek an answer concerning what it was that characterized this man and made him such an example of persevering prayer and faith I would appeal to a quote from his biographer that seems to sum it up well and also gives me cause for reflection upon my own "room for improvement".

He says of Muller...."This praying saint, who watched man, most of all watched God.
Even in the lesser details of his work, his eye was ever looking for God's unfailing supplies, and taking notice of the divine leadings and dealings; and, afterward, there always followed the fruit of the lips, giving thanks to His name.
Here is another secret revealed: prayerfulness and thankfulness--those two handmaidens of God-- always go together, each helping the other.
"Pray without ceasing: in everything give thanks." (1Thes.5:17-18) These two precepts stand side by side where they belong, and he who neglects one will find himself disobeying the other.
This man who prayed so much and so well, offered the sacrifice of praise to God continually."

2 comments:

Ashley said...

"There is power in prayer, but there must be prayer!" So true. I am thankful that in the past several weeks the Lord has increased my desire and fervency in prayer. Yet I am aware that I am still far from the prayer life I need and desire, and that it is all of grace. May our God give us more grace and great faith to boldly approach His throne of mercy, through our Great High Priest!

Stephen Gambill said...

Father, give us a deeper sense of your presence so that prayer will be the outflow of our love and fear of You!