Monday, March 9, 2009

Lovers of Truth


I came across this quote today by Martin Luther: "In the world, truth causes hatred; he is accounted an enemy who speaks the truth. But among friends, this is not so; much less among Christians."

Is this not the dividing line between the fallen world and the Spirit born believer?

"For everyone that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."
(John 3:20-21)

How wonderful to behold a people that desire truth in the inward parts!

"Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth."

(Psa.26:2-3)

How wonderful to be among Christians! A people that can speak the truth to one another freely, whether in encouragement or in correction.

"And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another." (Rom.15:14)

How refreshing to enjoy fellowship with the people of the way, the truth, and the life!