Saturday, October 10, 2009

"Practical Atheism"



"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." (Psa.14:1)

There is much talk today of Atheism. I hear concern expressed with regards to such things as atheistic phrases on the sides of buses and billboards around the world.

These are certainly disturbing trends, nevertheless, I must respond to these concerns with a question: "Are these expressions of atheistic philosophy in word contrary to the overall human condition in practice?

In other words, is not man a practical atheist from birth? Does not the Bible describe the natural man as one alienated from the life of God and at enmity with Him?

The scriptures describe him as one who does not even want to retain the knowledge of God in his mind and when exposed to the truth seeks to suppress it.

Does not the above verse from the Psalms speak to us of man's evil heart? Out of this evil, atheistic heart flows the issues of life. So, what is it that flows from such an unbelieving heart?
Here it is declared that the outworkings of atheism are "abominable works" that show forth his unbelieving hatred of God.

Therefore, when we consider practical living, how many lives display what they profess to believe, that is, that there is a God who has given us life, who has given us direction for that life, and who rules over all things?

"And why call ye me, Lord,Lord, and do not the things which I say?"
(Luke6:46)

With this in view, is Atheism a minority report? Or, is it the testimony of the many, even among professed believers?

Is a phrase on the side of a bus really the issue, or is this simply a diversion that keeps us from facing our own "foolish" hearts and their outworkings of practical atheism?

My prayer is this: "I want faith in God to be expressed not just in my words, but also in my deeds! O' for grace to not display the attributes of a practical atheist!"

4 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

So, practically speaking, we are born atheists? Hm. I'd never thought of it that way before.


Your post brought to mind Isaiah 29:13-16

And Jehovah said, Because this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips honor Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the command of men; therefore, behold, I will go on doing among this people, a wonder, even a wonder. For the wisdom of their wise ones shall perish, and the understanding of their intelligent ones shall be hidden.
Woe to those who go deep to hide their purpose from Jehovah! And their works are in the dark, and they say, Who sees us? And who knows us?
O your perversity! Shall the former be counted as the potter's clay; for shall the work say of him who made it, He did not make me? Or shall the thing formed say to him who formed it, He had no understanding?


In any case, it is sobering to realize that the taking of God's name in vain is any misuse of it--and that includes claiming to be a Christian while my life continues to mirror that of those who claim there is no God.

Heather

Tom Gabbard said...

Heather,

This is the contrary testimony of our lives when we say and do not like the Pharisees. It causes me to see afresh my utter dependance and need of Christ to strengthen and enable me for the race that is set before us!

Craig and Heather said...

This is much like the thoughts I have been having in relation to what it means to deny the resurrection. In 1 Cor 15, it appears that they had relegated the resurrection to a peripheral theological issue. We would never do that, would we? Well, I must ask myself the question. Paul could say (and it was obvious to all who observed) that if Christ was not raised, he was most pitiful of all men. Could that be said of me?

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Amen Brother, It is a sad reality that we all, from time to time, live as though we have not been resurrected with Christ and therefore deny with our actions what we profess with our mouth!
Again, how great a debtor I am to God's grace to keep me!