Friday, December 11, 2009

"How Should We Then Live?"




As I consider the present state of our nation and this world, as I consider the turmoil in so many lives, the cancers, the sorrows, the upheavel, I am once again confronted with the reality that things are terribly awry on this earth.

I was reminded of the title of a Francis Schaeffer book that I read some time ago which asked the question: "How should we then live?" In this book Schaeffer deals with the decline of western civilization through the centuries as they move from one form of "leaning to their own understanding" to another rather than looking unto the one in "whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge". (Col.2:3)

This self, man-centered direction has led to misery and chaos rather than the promised utopia that was thought to be at the end of man's self created rainbow.

We are a people who have listened to the arch liar and have spurned the God of truth!

So, I am either, brought to the place of despair and gloom, or I am brought to once again gaze upon my Savior's face and live with the joyous anticipation that sorrow, sickness, turmoil, and death do not have the final word.

These things have an appointed end, and I relish the thought of being delivered from the bonds of corruption in full, and dwelling in the new heavens and earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness!

How am I to spend this "vapor" of a life? What am I to be about? How should I then live?

I believe the word that God has revealed to us makes it plain.

For example, I recalled these passages: "For our converstaion is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."
(Phil.3:20-21)

and: "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."
(Col.3:1-4)

also: "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."
(Titus 2:11-14)

These passages declare clearly to me that, in the midst of the darkness and distress of the present age, I am to live with great expectation and anticipation of my coming glorified state when I will forever be united to Him who is my life!

And, in the mean time, while I await His coming and the glorious marraige supper of the lamb, I must be about my Father's business, redeeming the time and laboring in His heavenly labors.

What a privelege, to look beyond the outward forms of things that are perishing, and to look into the face of Him who lives forever more! And, because He lives, I live!

6 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

Hard to say whether or not we are in the last minutes of the fourth quarter, but we must resist the temptation to fall back into the "prevent defense" Rather, we should run as to win! If we are in the final stages, let's be grateful for the opportunity to be in the game for the final whistle, and not save anything for the locker room.

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Amen Craig,

This is a time to be about kingdom work, and a time to "lay up treasures in heaven."

Craig and Heather said...

Wonderful thoughts!

I've been thinking often about our need to be about redeeming the time and exchanging the currency of this world's system for that of God's eternal one which will never pass away.

Heather

Tom Gabbard said...

Heather,

I am guilty of allowing the "doings" and the "goings-on" of this present world to distract me from my eternal citizenship. As a result I become side-tracked with regards to, rejoicing in Him, and walking in such a way that the gospel is demonstrated before this needy world.

Bobby said...

Good points bro Craig and sis Heather.

I hear ya bro Tom I find myself at times hopelessly distracted by the worries and cares of this world. It is truly a gift when the channels in our hearts are clear of debris and we are given an eternal perspective of our life.

We may or may not be in the last hours but I am reminded of Paul's phrase "asleep in Christ", referring to the dead saints. We will all for sure perish one day but what a glorious thing to wake up in the embrace of Christ.

Such a motivation should cause us to not only die in Him but strive to live in Him as well.

BM

Tom Gabbard said...

Bro. Bobby,

I must keep coming back to the question of the apostle Paul: "Who shall seperate us from the love of Christ?"