Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"HE MUST INCREASE"

"He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30)

How wonderful to "decrease"!

How wonderful is the thought of becoming so enamored with Christ, so consumed by Him that self fades from view.

As Paul says.... "to no longer live".... but instead to be a manifestation of Christ!

I remember the testimony given during the time of Charles Spurgeon. A man in America, who had heard of the fame of this English preacher decided to make the journey to London and experience Spurgeons renowned preaching for himself.
Upon returning he was asked concerning what the experience was like and he shared... "I went to see a great preacher and instead I saw a great Savior."

What a word to be spoken about any believer! That we would not be seen or applauded but that Jesus would appear before the eyes of the onlookers and would be heard in the ears of the hearers.

The wellknown evangelist of the 1700's, George Whitefield was asked on one occasion concerning his legacy and how he would like to be remembered, he replied..."let the name of George Whitefield perish and Christ be magnified."

This man had been "swallowed up" of Christ! This desire reminds me of Paul when he writes to the Phillipians and says....."According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life,or by death."
(Phil.1:20)


I pray that my heart and attitude will be conformed to such heights of love and devotion, that I would fade from view and be eclipsed by the glory of the Son!

Truly, if He is to increase, I must decrease!

No comments: