Thursday, January 22, 2009

"The Center of Attention"

Self-centeredness, Self-absorption. We live in such a "self" oriented world. I came into this world with a nature that thrives on self-focus. This is so contrary to reality because only God deserves the focus as the true center of all things. It is my desire to be enamored with God to the utmost!

I believe a quote from Archbishop William Temple sums up the situation very well. He says, "When we open our eyes as babies we see the world stretching out before us; we are in the middle of it; all we see is determined by the relation of all objects to ourselves. This will be true as long as we live. I am the center of the world I see; where the horizon is depends on where I stand. The same is true of our mental and spiritual vision. Some things hurt us; we hope they will not happen again; we call them bad. Some things please us; we hope they will happen again; we call them good.
Our standard of value is the way things affect ourselves. So each of us takes his place in the center of his own world. But I am not the center of the world, nor do I determine what is good or bad. I am not the center; God is."


"For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen." (Rom.11:36)

1 comment:

Scribbler said...

excellent quote.....