Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"UNREQUITED LOVE"


"And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved." (2Cor.12:15)

I must pause whenever I read such passages as this because I am left in awe of a love so selfless and persevering! Though Paul's great love for other believers was often not reciprocated, he still loved.
This is beyond the bounds of what one encounters in the world. It eclipses the natural way of things. This is a love that grabs a persons attention and will not let go! This is a love that finds its source in God alone.
I noticed a similar statement in the Psalms where it is said...."For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer.
And they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love." (Psa.109:4-
5)

I see Jesus here so plainly! Who can equal the love he showed while continually requited, not with love, but with hatred?

Therefore, I don't see Paul in the above passage as much as I see Christ. This former proud Pharisee is now a "clay pot" full of the Spirit of Christ!

This is that radical thing called Christianity. It transforms self-centered sinners into self-sacrificing servants who cheerfully give of themselves though they may receive disdain in return.

Why is love often reacted to in this way?

Is it not because love speaks the truth and in so doing irritates the flesh? As Jesus and His people speak and live the truth, which is a manifestation of love, they are hated for it.

Paul asks, in his letter to the Galatians, "Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?" (Gal.4:16)

Though he is evidencing such great love for them by telling them the truth they resent it!
But, nevertheless, he faithfully keeps loving them. He can do no other! For it is no longer Paul that lives but Christ living in him. He is simply experiencing what his master experienced. In John 8:40 Jesus says...."But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth..."

Yet, the truth keeps coming because it is His nature to love and so it is with those who are His own.

This is the kind of love that "turns the world upside down"!

No comments: