Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"Our Schoolmaster"


When I consider God's Holy Law there is within me a sense of dread. I am brought to see that I am undone and justly condemned by its righteous requirements.
I find in scripture that this is exactly what the law is supposed to produce in me. This is the purposed effect.

In Galatians 3:23-24 I am told... "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith."


Here is a declaration of the laws purpose. It was not given to justify but that, "..the offence might abound..." (Rom.5:20)
This Holy standard reveals my failure and rebellion. Paul testifies to this purpose of the law in Romans 7:12-14 where he writes, "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin."


I find then that the law, like a "schoolmaster", is teaching me that God and His law are pure and holy and that I am not. The law is also like a light that illuminates the manifold offences that sprang from the original offence of Adam.

Therefore, the law leaves me in a state of utter condemnation as it brings charges against me that I can not refute!
In Romans 3:20 the hopelessness of seeking my justification by the law is again brought out. Here it says, "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

Because the law will never pronounce acceptance on anything less than absolute perfection and total submission to its demands I am left without hope.

The Bible shows me again and again where the problem lies. In Romans 8:3 there is this plain declaration, "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh,...."
And in Galatians 3:10 it says, ".....Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written the book of the law to do them."
Again in Hebrews 7:18-19, where the old covenant priesthood is in view, it is affirmed that, "For there is verily a disannuling of the commandment going before for the weakness and un-profitableness thereof.
For the law made nothing perfect,....."


The law had no power to make anything "perfect" it could only reveal the imperfections and the weaknesses.

I find then that I am this "weak link". The law is holy, just, and good and I am not. Under the law I am cursed and incomplete.

But God.....!

A child has been born, a Son has been given. His delight is in the law of the LORD and He always does those things that please the Father!
I note some verses that speak to our deliverance from the law's just condemnation.
First, I find these words in Romans 5:20b-21, "..But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord."
Then in Galatians 3:13 it is said, "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:"
Paul goes on to say in the next chapter , "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons."
(Gal.4:4-5)

Finally, I must include the great announcement of freedom from condemnation that is found in Romans 8:1-4, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law cold not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

No comments: