Friday, July 31, 2009

Apathy Considered

Who Cares?

From the Pastor: Dr. M. J. Seymour, Sr.



“I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.” (Psalm 142:5) To the Laodicean church Jesus said: “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” (Rev. 3:15-16)

David hounded by King Saul found himself trapped in the midst of overwhelming odds. As he looked around he could see no one to trust, and no one who really cared if he lived or died. His words were: “no one cared for my soul.” Saul cared; that is why he hunted him, to kill him. God cared; that is why He rescued him from a state of no hope. Those who were apathetic did not care one way or the other; they were “neither cold nor hot.” If he lived or died was his own problem; after all, we have our own lives to live and things to do!

That is the point about apathy; it cannot look beyond itself, and “sufficient for me is all I need.” Apathy is unconcerned about others. Apathy lacks interest and attention in spiritual matters. Apathy is unresponsive to the preaching of the Word of God. Apathy is unmoved by the multitudes dying condemned to an eternity in the Lake of Fire. Apathy is uncommitted to the witness of Jesus, to the study of the Word of God, and to a prayer life filled with a burden for the salvation of others. Apathy is void of all spiritual zeal. It has a “ho-hum” attitude. Apathy cares for no one but “self.”

“Apathetic” describes the character of most churches today. Their interest in heavenly matters is all but non-existent. At the preaching of “thus saith the Lord,” there is hardly anyone responding. Hearts are unmoved, tears have vanished away, and consciences are void of feelings. The common attitude is “it has nothing to do with me.” If souls are lost for all eternity, “what is that to me”? Apathy in the churches makes the Lord Jesus want to vomit!!!! It is better for a church that is refusing to be made hot in the zeal of God for the witness of Jesus Christ to close its doors than to remain self-righteously indifferent in His sovereign truth. Perhaps, if the ax were laid to the root of dead churches, others would pray for a rekindling of that Spirit-filled fire of the witness of Christ. CARE and LIVE!!!

No comments: