Friday, August 7, 2009

Luther at Worms



The Prayer of Luther at Diet of Worms


Luther at Worms, before the second day at trial:


"O Almighty and Everlasting God! How terrible is this world! Behold, it openeth its mouth to swallow me up, and I have so little trust in Thee! . . . How weak is the flesh, and how powerful is Satan! If it is in the strength of this world only that I must put my trust, all is over! My last hour is come, my condemnation has been pronounced! O God! O God! . . . O God! do Thou help me against all the wisdom of the world! Do this; Thou shouldest do this. . . . Thou alone . . . for this is not my work, but Thine. I have nothing to do here, nothing to contend for with these great ones of the world! I should desire to see my days flow on peaceful and happy. But the cause is Thine . . . and it is a righteous and eternal cause. O Lord! help me! Faithful and unchangeable God! In no man do I place my trust. It would be vain! All that is of man is uncertain; all that cometh of man fails. . . . O God! my God, hearest Thou me not? . . . My God, art Thou dead? . . . No! Thou canst not die! Thou hidest Thyself only! Thou has chosen me for this work. I know it well! . . . Act, then, O God . . . stand at my side, for the sake of Thy well-beloved Jesus Christ, who is my defense, my shield, and my strong tower. — Lord! where stayest Thou? O my God! where art Thou? . Come! come! I am ready! I am ready to lay down my life for Thy truth . . . patient as a lamb. For it is the cause of justice – it is Thine! . . . I will never separate myself from Thee, neither now nor through eternity! . . . And though the world should be filled with devils, – though my body, which is still the work of Thy hands, should be slain, be stretched upon the pavement, be cut in pieces . . . reduced to ashes . . . my soul is Thine! . . . Yes! I have the assurance of Thy Word. My soul belongs to Thee! It shall abide forever with Thee. . . . Amen! . . . O God! help me! . . . Amen”

Truly, in our day also, the battle is the LORD's! He is our mighty fortress!