Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"All I Have is Christ"




"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,....." (Phil.3:7-8)


I once was lost in darkest night,
Yet thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life,
Had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that you would own,
A rebel to your will.
And if you had not loved me first,
I would refuse you still.

But as I ran my hell bound race,
Indifferent to the cost.
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross.
And I beheld God's love displayed,
You suffered in my place.
You bore the wrath reserved for me,
Now all I know is grace.

CHORUS
Hallelujah! All I have is Christ!
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life!

Now Lord I would be yours alone,
And live so all might see,
The strength to follow your commands
Could never come from me.
Oh Father use my ransomed life
In any way you choose;
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You.

(Words and music by Jordan Kauflin)

2 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

I've never heard that song before. It looks wonderful. will have to look for the tune somewhere!

I was talking to Dad Saturday about the same verses you put down there. I was thinking about the rich young ruler, and how Jesus asked him "why do you call me good? only God is good" or something to that effect. He was directly challenging the idea of the day that you could "arrive" by your own effort. You see, that is what the Jews, partilularly the phairiees, thought they could do (or even had done!) (I not so secretly hope that the rich young ruler was Saul of Tarsus, no evidence, just my hope)
Anyhow, Paul thought he had arrived as a Pharisee (as to the law, blameless, earlier in Phil 3) but he counts that as loss, as you quoted. Then he says he has not in fact arrived, but he strains forward to lay hold of that for which he was laid hold of.

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Craig,

This song really speaks to my heart and has become one of my favorites!
Yes, we all try to establish our own righteousness until we come to see "God's Righteousness".....The Man, Christ Jesus.