Thursday, August 5, 2010

"Who are We trying to Please?"




"among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind." (Eph.2:3)

We are, by nature, pleasure seekers. That is, our own pleasure. We live in a society that sanctions and applauds self-gratification at any cost or regardless of it's offensiveness to the God who holds our breath in His hand!

We live for what tastes good, looks good, sounds good, smells good, feels good......etc.

Sadly, the most prevelant way of life is the way of self and "the fleeting pleasures of sin." (Heb.11:25)

We are the measure and end of all things......or are we?

Why am I here? Why did God create all things, including you and I?

"Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases." (Psa.115:3)

It is all for His pleasure. It is all for His glory and purposes.

I am here for Him!

"but the LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love." (Psa.147:11)

There was such a Man who lived such a selfless, God-pleasing life......"And he who sent me is with me, He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him." (John 8:29)

But, it is evident, that I cannot say this of myself......."I am carnal, sold under sin." I realize that, "Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." (Rom.7:14/8:8)

I will never be able to make this flesh pleasing to Him or acceptable in His sight....I must look away to the One who is ever and always pleasing, for "without faith it is impossible to please Him." (Heb.11:6)

By faith in the God who is declared to be able to conform me to the image of His Son and that is working in me, "both to will and to work for his good pleasure." (Phil.2:13), I can desire to please Him rather than myself!

Paul says of his own desire, "So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." (2Cor.5:9)
and....."but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts." (1Thes.2:4)

He also exhorts his readers and us, "Finally, then brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do more and more." (1Thes.4:1)

and finally, in his words to Timothy, he gives this council....."No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him".
(2Tim.2:4)

How contrary is the believers calling from what we are by nature and from what this fallen world espouses!!

We are His, the work of His hands, and the redeemed of the Lord........Lord, grant me a heart and a mind that desires to please you, regardless of whether my flesh is pleased or not!

May it never be said of us that claim the name of Christian that we were, ".......lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God....." (2Tim.3:4)

6 comments:

Bobby said...

Thanks brother....Needed to hear this...

bm

Tom Gabbard said...

Bobby,

So glad it was profitable to your soul! I need to be reminded of this every day!

Craig and Heather said...

I must look away to the One who is ever and always pleasing,

Amen.

It is so often in the looking that I am compelled to move out of whatever rut I seem to find myself.

Heather

Tom Gabbard said...

Heather,

A look to Him means a look away from myself.....that's always a wonderful thing!!

Craig and Heather said...

Tom,
I have read this through several times and wanted to comment and let you know how much I am encouraged by what you have said.
I've been studying Colossians for the last couple of months. Reminds me of "Christ having preeminence in all things", and "the mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory"
For Him,
Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Craig,

So glad to hear that it was an encouragement! I desire to see more of Him and less of me in my daily living. I want to be ever aware that I belong to Him, and that I am here for His glory and service. In that realization I want to find contentment and joy.