Monday, August 2, 2010

"Our Questioning God"





I was thinking today of one of the ways that God has dealt with humanity throughout history. He asks them questions. I know that He is omniscient and isn't looking for new, unknown information, so, why does He do it?

I believe it is to confront the individual with themselves! When we have questions posed to us, we are forced to stop and consider our state, our attitude, our motives, etc.

We are brought face to face with causes and realities that, are many times, unpleasant to face, but, if we are to be healed and furthered along in God's purposes, we must face them, and answer them honestly.

I recalled a few examples of such questioning by God in scripture:

"And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?"
(Gen.3:9)

"And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shall rule over him."
(Gen.4:6-7)

"And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here Elijah?"
1 Kings 19:9)

"And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.
Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night:
And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?
"
(Jonah 4:9-11)

"He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?"
(Mat.16:15)

".......Why reason ye these things in your hearts?"
(Mark 2:8)

"Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat?...."
(John 21:5)

and finally.....

"......Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?"
"......Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?"
"......Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?"
(John 21:15-17)

So, the "question" is.......What question is God asking us today?

4 comments:

Craig and Heather said...

One of my favorites is in Exodus when God asks Moses:
"Exo 4:2 MKJV
(2) And Jehovah said to him, What is this in your hand? And he said, A staff."
God can use what I have too, if I surrender it to Him.

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Craig,

It is amazing to me how questions seem to reveal to us our true condition and help us to see our ruts!

Craig and Heather said...

Job chapters 38 - 41 are full of questions from God, too. And they guide Job to repentance in chapter 42.

Essentially God asks Job this:

Job 38:1-4 ESV
(1) Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
(2) "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
(3) Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me.
(4) "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.


I like your thought, I will have to watch for questions from God, because as you say, he doesn't ask because HE doesn't know, there must be another purpose. Probably in me.

Good words:

Craig

Tom Gabbard said...

Craig,

His questions are always posed in order to wake us up and to make us aware of where we truly are in our walks. How are we relating to Him, to others, and to ourselves?
I often need such an attitude realignment!!